There are certain predetermined conditions to participate in FP7.
Who can participate?
Any company, university, research centre, organisation or individual, legally established in any country, may participate in FP7.
Which countries can participate fully?
- Member States of EU – EU comprises of following 27 member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
- Associated Countries – With science and technology cooperation agreements that is involved in contributing to the framework programme budget. The following countries have agreed associated agreement: Albania, Croatia, FYR of Macedonia, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey.
- Candidate Countries – Currently recognized as candidates for future accession.
- Third Countries - Participation of organisations or individuals established in countries that are not Member States, candidates or associated should also be justified in terms of the improved contribution to the objectives of FP7. It involves International Cooperation Partner Countries (ICPC) counties. Click here to see the list of ICPC counties.
When can you participate?
You can participate, once the European Commission issues calls for project proposals, for experts, for services and competitive calls in accordance with the requirements laid down in the relevant specific programmes and work programme.
What are the minimum conditions to participate?
- 3 independent participants from 3 different Member States (MS) or Associated countries (AC)
- Natural persons may participate
- JRC may participate and is deemed to be from a different MS or Ac (same principles for international European interest organisations and entities established under Community law)
- Additional conditions can be established by the work programme (WP) or specific programme (SP) (e.g. number or type of participant, place of establishment)
- Individual participants composed of members that meet the criteria above can participate
- Frontier research actions (ERC): – at least 1 legal entity established in a MS or AC
- Coordination and support actions and actions in favour of training and career development of researchers – minimum of 1 legal entity (except actions to coordinate)
- Collaborative projects addressing the participation of international cooperation partner countries (INCO) – minimum is 4 participants of which 2 in MS or Ac and 2 in INCO countries [unless otherwise foreseen in work programme]
- Participation of international organisations and participants from third countries if in addition.
To get more information about FP7 participation rules click here.