The objective of ‘Energy Research’ under FP7 is to aid the formation and establishment of the technologies essential to adapt the current energy system into a more sustainable, competitive and secure one. It should also depend on the less imported fuels and use a diverse mix of energy sources, in particular renewables, energy carriers and non polluting sources. EC has allotted a total budget of € 2.35 billion for funding this theme over the duration of FP7.
The following activities are emphasized:
Hydrogen and fuel cells
- It supports the EU fuel cells and hydrogen industries, for stationary, portable and transport applications.
Renewable electricity generation
- It involves technologies to increase overall conversion efficiency, cost efficiency and reliability, driving down the cost of electricity production.
Renewable fuel production
- It consists of fuel production systems and conversion technologies.
Renewables for heating and cooling
- It comprises of technologies for inexpensive, more efficient, active and passive heating and cooling from renewable energy sources.
Carbon-di-oxide capture and storage technologies for zero emission power generation
It encompasses technologies to reduce the environmental impact of fossil fuel use by capturing Carbon-di-oxide.
Clean Coal Technologies
- It significantly improves power plant efficiency, consistency and reducing costs through research, development and demonstration of cleaner coal and other solid fuel conversion technologies.
Smart energy networks
- It enlarges the efficiency, safety, reliability and quality of the European electricity and gas systems and networks in the context of a more integrated European energy market.
Energy efficiency and savings
It involves technologies to improve energy efficiency and facilitates both ultimate and primary energy consumption savings
Knowledge for energy policy making
- It comprises of tools, methods and models to assess the economic and social issues related to energy technologies
Horizontal promotion actions
- The topics described in this section have a horizontal character not specified to particular technology.