The aim of the Space theme under FP7 is to
- Support a European Space Programme focusing on applications such as "Global Monitoring for Environment and Security" (GMES) with benefits for citizens and
- Increase the competitiveness of the European space industry.
This will contribute to the development of a European space policy, complementing efforts by Member States and by other key players, including the European Space Agency.
The EU Member States have earmarked more than € 1.4 billion for funding this theme over the duration of FP7.
The following activities will be given importance:
Space-based applications serving European society –
- Developing satellite observation systems and the GMES services for the management of the environment, security, agriculture, forestry and meteorology, civil protection and risk management;
Exploration of space –
- Provision of support for collaborative initiatives between ESA or national space agencies, as well as coordinating efforts for the development of space-borne telescopes;
Strengthening Space foundations –
- Support research for long term needs such as space transportation, bio-medicine, life and physical sciences in space.